View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
ashan
Connoisseur
ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: could be Kobo Glo or KPW
Deciding went from KT to T1 now T2?

Hello mobile readers!
I am new to this forum and I would like to start reading on an ereader. The main reason is that English is not my first language and living in UK since last year I try to learn more than just the common range of words.

I started considering Kindle 4 vs. Kindle touch, a big thumbs up for kindle touch that suited my needs, because I like the embed dictionary and I would use it quite a lot so the 5 point navigation keypad was a no for me. Add to that the audio and text to speech (for the words that I don't know how they sound, though I know it doesn't play a particular word).

So the decision was made and I started to save amazon gift cards in my account. That is quite easy, reached 78£ and then googling around I found out that a lot of people complained about the life span of kindle touch and the fact that they brake easily, the warranty is 1 year, but a good side is that the extra warranty is cheap ~20£. For me 109£ are still a good amount of money and I don't want to spend that for a year of reading or 3 as much amazon says that the lifespan is.

So I considered other ereaders and found Sony T1 on internet, viewed a lot of reviews and really liked the looks of the gadget.
First thing that put me off was the lack of text to speech, but then I began to really ask myself if a digitalized voice could help me that much...So thought I could just mark the new word and use my smartphone or computer then or later to sound the word.
Funny right? The T2 has grown on me and any lack of specs or bad points I would just start to cut them of the table.
Also the refresh rate was a bit of a downer but had considered that I never used it and I could get used to it.
Then the coolours; Oh my, this was a choice between black and white, both looked fab but somehow I liked the white one most, looked like a book.

Checked prices, obviously on Amazon Uk, and found the white one for 119£ and the black one for 140£.
That's more than the kindle touch but I would had paid it without regrets.
Then I found out that Amazon has a press conference on 6th of September and I might see a new Kindle, but the problem is, when will it be available in UK? the Kindle touch was released in UK, from what I heard, 6 months after the US launch. Everything here in UK comes later than in US and dearer.

The story goes on of course with Sony, having found out that the T2 has been launched. Hmm, 119£ on Sony UK very good price, but wait, I don't have cash...I redeemed my earned points in amazon gift cards and now they are in my balance. So looked on amazon UK, of course there is no sign of T2.
I think I want the T2 more, because of the refresh rate and whiter page. I don't think the design is better, maybe a bit improved, and still had a "hard" time considering black or white, but still like the white better even if it is glossy, though in the shiny Scotland that won't make any difference
Oh also, no audio support? I have a smartphone for music and audio books, and the text to speech part I already cut it off from the T1 dilemma.

So here I am, bragging on this forum about my thoughts and decisions.
Last night did again a search on amazon and found out listings for the SOny prs T2, a bit odd, (Misc September and Not available, the title was in german and the listing was bu Sony)Sony Reader (PRS-T2/HWC). Pottermore Edition. Weiß: Leichter E-Book Reader mit IR Touchscreen, W-LAN, integrierten E-Books [German] [Misc.]
Anyone from UK can please tell me how soon was T1 available on Amazon Uk and at what price? Does Sony Europe Ltd have an amazon seller profile?
I also thought of buying the Kindle Touch of Amazon and selling it unopened, do you know how much I would take for it? That way I could order the T2 from sony, and use Topcashback 6.6% making it 111.5£.

And to finish with a constructive information reviews started to show up on outube

Unboxing T2 White - English
IFA Berlin German
ashan is offline   Reply With Quote