View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
It took me some time to get through this book but I am so glad that I finished it. This is a magnificent book and a true literary classic.

Simmons brilliantly organises his book in the style of Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales" with the complex plot developed through a series of personal accounts of members of a Pilgrimage, each of whom is on a quest to meet a strange creature called The Shrike.

The various chapters are as follows:

Prologue
The Priest's Tale: The Man Who Cried God
The Soldier's Tale: The War Lovers
The Poet's Tale: Hyperion Cantos
The Scholar's Tale: The River Lethe's Taste is Bitter
The Detective's Tale: The Long Good-By
The Consul's Tale: Remembering Siri
Epilogue

The individual stories are perfectly integrated stylistically with the personalities of the various narrators and Simmons creates a remarkable literary kaleidoscope of personality, setting, and motive which is absolutely breathtaking. And the cosmos created by Simmons is unforgettable. It is beautiful, frightening, exotic--and relevant.

Be prepared for surprises in this wonderful book and while I haven't read the sequel, I understand that it is comparable in quality.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote