View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 05:25 AM   #80
Clytie
Bookworm
Clytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it is

Device: iPad2
New books: forget it

I do miss the sense of adventure and fun I experienced in visiting a used book shop. My family used to look forward very much to visiting the city (250km away), not just for the good Asian food and a wander around the Central Market, but for the used bookshops!

(Yep, we live in a rural town cluster with over 35,000 people but no bookshops.)

We used to visit the new-book shops as well, but they rarely had anything we wanted to buy. They became formulaic. But the used book shops were goldfields where we could pan and look for the good stuff.

Since having to swap to ebooks (due to illness), I miss grouting through a used-book shop, but I really enjoy discovering new authors online. I never run out of things to read, and I try a lot more new titles.

Our local library is still a warm and welcoming place, so we visit it occasionally, even though it doesn't offer ebooks. My husband does well sometimes out of the $2 special bin at Big W.

I feel that reading communities have largely moved online. This is one of them.
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote