View Single Post
Old 10-16-2004, 03:20 PM   #11
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Actually, what I said about a waist neuroma was a joke. In a Spectrum* article a couple of years ago, they actually suggested the use of earpieces to keep the cell phone away from your head but only to people too concerned about cell phone-induced cancer, since there was no evidence at that time of cell phones causing cancer or any other disease. And still there is not conclusive evidence.
And until now, I hadn't noticed something: nobody talks about cancer in the hand, which is the most exposed part of the body to the EM radiation (that side of the phone is not shielded). I understand everyone being more concerned about the head, but skin cancer is no joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker
Except... this [shield] doesn't help you if people around you are using their phone.
I don't agree with this, since the EM power decreases exponentially with distance. The power of a cell phone signal after travelling one meter does not compare at all to the power received by, say, your hand (again). And it's the same with cigarrettes. Filters in cigarrettes are plainly a marketing invention, not a toxic gases trap, because then you would be smoking "pure air", and that's the last thing a smoker wants. Of course it wouldn't be pure air, but, honestly, what would be the amount of toxic particles kept inside the filter? 3%? Second-hand smokers smoke a smoke that is much less dense (I did that on purpose!).
But we're talking abouth EMFs health effects here. Sorry.

Oh, my! I read the article I was telling you about four years ago!
*Spectrum is the most not-too-technical magazine of the IEEE.

Last edited by Francesco; 10-16-2004 at 03:36 PM.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote