View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Anyway together with Poohbear_nc point regarding language I would have to ask this. If Austen's novels are to be rewritten to eliminate any words or phrases that modern readers might have trouble with, and if the novels are to be jazzed up to be “non-stop action” what's the point of even doing it? What's the point of reading Austen?
Exactly. Although I don't care what others read, I enjoy the classics for the windows they open to the time and place in which they are written. If they are rewritten to reflect our own time, to expurgate the historical context, they appeal to me about as much as reading Shakespeare as edited by Thomas Bowdler.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote