View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
I would like to disagree with you obarz just to say that there others who care about books looking good.

I started out here posting something along the same lines that you posted and Agama's response I think is on point.

I have downloaded some feedbook epubs from their web site and I like the look of the chapter headings with some stylized text and lines.

I am currently pursuing learning more about HTML programming and eventually CSS to better understand how I can make up templates to convert books into formats that are attractive as well as legible.

For instance, I spent a few hours reading about different fonts and which one would make the best ebook font. I found out that sans-serif fonts are used as eye-catchers for titles and headers but serif fonts are used for the main body text because they are considered more legible and psychologically pleasing for long periods of reading. I also learned 'Georgia font' was specifically designed to be read on a Computer or other electronic device versus 'Times' that was designed before the age of computers.

The upshot is... I am with you and would love to learn more about designing the optimum book for flow, readability and to be psychologically pleasing. I think your experience in the paperbook world is greatly germaine to designing ebooks since it comes from that same concept of designing something attractive out of something ugly. I mean who would want to read a book in Courier 10 point that the author wrote the manuscript in?

Keep posting. Like minded people will soon see your posts and you will get more positive responses.

Happy Tuesday
Archon
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote