View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Kobo locks up on this ePub

I made a very simple ePub book using calibre:

1) simple HTML headers
2) the Gutenburg text for Pride and Prejudice
{No, I'm not interested in a better version of P&P, I just
needed a plain text file to reproduce a problem I first
had with a copywrited work.)
3) convert to HTML to MOBI using calibre
4) convert to MOBI to ePub using calibre (0.8.11)
5) load ePub to Kobo using calibre
6) go to page 99

At this point the Kobo locks up. You can restart it, but it remembers that it's supposed to be on page 99, so if you reopen the book it locks up again.

The HTML (and the HTML in the ePub) looks fine and ordinary. The ePub looks great in calibre. It seems to be a Kobo-specific problem. I haven't been able to figure what the rule is, but if it get's figured out it would be nice to have calibre implement it. While I'm on the "it would be nice" front, did everybody else know you have to convert to MOBI on the way to ePub? I'm thinking I should put in a feature request saying that the "do you want to use the default transformation?" function should default to ->Mobi->ePub for the Kobo device.

Sample files in this post .
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote