View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #845
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished a re-read of The Innocence of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton (the first time was as an e-book). The book was a download from Librivox, and the reader was quite good, although it seems to have been recorded with an emphasis on the bass settings that made the audio a tad muddy.

The author's style is unusual, in that each story begins in a manner that seems to me to produce a fairy-tale atmosphere that could only have been stronger had they began with "Once upon a time." Once beyond the point where the mysterious characters being described are Father Brown and his friend, the thief-turned-detective Flambeau, the stories take on more of an air of a traditional but clever whodunnit.

This book of short stories is enjoyable, yet there is an irritating element present in many of them, and that is the not-so-hidden sermons contained within. Many of the villains in these tales are atheists. I don't mind the idea of a main character who is faithful to his own religious ideals, but in a work of fiction I prefer not being hit over the head with an author's religious or political viewpoints.

Nevertheless, Father Brown is a very likable character whose powers of observation are keen, and while his method of crime-solving seem to rely more on intuition than deduction, overall these are very enjoyable stories. I highly recommend them to all who enjoy good mysteries.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote