View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
Bertone
Bertone began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Hi BertramP.

Quote:
i. Is there somewhere that all the different pdfreader options (reading settings and page settings) are clearly explained?
Documentation seems to be a problem of the M92. I'm not aware of any detailed in depth manual that really explains all the possible settings and their uses.

Quote:
ii. I have a scanned book (double pages, not centred). I'd like to be able to use "Odd / Even Manual Settings" but these do not appear as an option for me.
For the "Odd / Even Manual Settings" you need the new patched pdf reader. It was published before the release of the latest firmware patch (UPD 2013.04.29), but was not included in this update. Don't know why - maybe it's still considered beta.

You can find the patched pdf reader in this thread:
Firmware updates, dictionaries, fonts and third-party apps for Onyx Boox M92
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164162

Quote:
UPD 2013.01.02

Hi guys!

First update in the new year is available

Here is the updated PDF Reader with new Page Setting functionality
We have abandoned the "Two Point Margins" tool and added two new visual margins setting tools instead:
- Universal Manual Settings - to setup all pages of a PDF document
- Odd / Even Manual Settings - to setup odd and even pages differently.
I hope you will like it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23593310/pd...f%20reader.rar
As usual unzip it and copy those two files from archive to the internal memory of your device. In your device click on update.oar and the last update for PDFReader will be installed.
You can use it without rebooting.
Please note that this particular tool in the new PDF Reader is still beta!
Your feedback is welcome

Somewhere someone sugested that you also have to install the preceding patch for the pdf reader before you install the UPD 2013.01.02:

Quote:
UPD. 12.12.12

Hello everybody!
Here is a new patch with fixes of most important bugs in the new PDF Reader

Please download this file:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23593310/pd...er%20Patch.rar

Unzip it and copy those three files from archive to the internal memory of your device. In your device click on update.oar and the last update for PDFReader will be installed.
The device will reboot.

What has been fixed:

PDF Reader. Margins settings and Customized Zoom are not saved after closing a book
PDF Reader. Standby issue 1. Home button causes exit from the pdf after return from stand by
PDF Reader. Standby issue 2. Controlls are non functional after return from Standby
PDF Reader. Glyph embolden >0. Page turn issue.
PDF Reader. Annotations. Highlighting of empty area causes exit.
PDF Reader. Key mapping. the order of tools has been changed. Now pan + zoom are set by default.
PDF Reader. no confirmation is needed if exiting a book with Close Icon in main menu
Don't know if that's true and / or if it's still necessary if you already have the latest firmware update (UPD 2013.04.29). I did it and it works.

Here is the thread where that is explained:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205203
Tutorial for Onyx Boox M92

But I don't think that the "Odd / Even Manual Settings" feature will help you with your scanned double pages.

Many books and the corresponding pdf files have different margins for even and odd pages. Like, even pages have a bigger margin on the left side, odd pages a bigger margin on the right. With the "Odd / Even Manual Settings" feature you can compensate this difference. But it only works if odd and even pages are separate pages in your pdf. The pdf reader sees your double pages as one page. I assume you want to use this setting so that the pdf reader automatically separates the double pages. I don't think that will work. What you need is a program that can automatically separate and correctly align these double pages. On your PC, and then you save the edited pdf file. OCR programs like Abbyy Finereader can do that, and I assume most pdf editors, too.
After that you could use the "Odd / Even Manual Settings" for fine tuning in the pdf reader.

Last edited by Bertone; 06-24-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Bertone is offline   Reply With Quote