View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan47 View Post
Even if the dimensions are such that this is possible, is it safe to carry them in your pocket? Do people do that?
Are you at Rowan University?

If so, I'll mention that the Philadelphia subway has frequent audio messages to guard your electronic devices. However, I think a monochrome screen might slightly deter theft, if noticed. From that standpoint, the iPad is less safe.

If you are talking about durability, rather than theft, I suspect that modern phones and tablets with Gorilla glass are less fragile than eInk readers. But if you get a Kindle eInk reader, Amazon has been honoring the one year guarantee if if you crack the screen. I've cracked several, but then I am unusually clumsy.

Aside from the screen, the devices are pretty durable. I had one go through the wash -- the screen cracked, I presume during the high speed spin, but otherwise it was not damaged.

It's possible that a 5 inch eReader would be a good compromise between fitting in a pocket and having a big enough screen to be comfortable. Sony makes them. However, the news will not be continuously updated as you travel. You would perhaps use Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) to load your device with news every morning. I both load from Calibre and get continuous updates via 3G -- almost anywhere in the world, no monthly fee.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 01-13-2013 at 04:05 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote