View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
khronos78
khronos78 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I've tried several applications for comics (pdf / cbr / cbz)

The free ones : cloudreader, stanza, ibooks (for pdf only)
The paying one : ComicZeal, Goodreader (for pdf)
---

Cloudreader is simple, fast, and handles 200 meg PDF like a charm. The only feature to sort a collection is by placing "tags" which is overall an elegant solution. However 3 major drawbacks for me where
- too few user preferences
- no quick access to a given page
- it crashes a lot for cbr & cbz. It's not a big deal but it ruins the experience

Stanza was my favorite reading application for pdf / txt files with lots of user settings plus a great ergonomy. However it doesn't handle big pdf very well, plus it also crashes a lot for cbr & cbz.

iBooks is a good pdf reader with a very nice library view. However it is rather slow and there's also a lack of user preferences.

ComicZeal is expensive (6€ for me) but was my favorite app on iPhone and gets a huge upgrade with the file transfer feature on iTUnes (cbr/cbz conversion with ComicZeal desktop were a royal pain). Once files are transfered there's still a conversion but it's fast and this application is GODDAM STABLE. Plus it's really great for comics reading with lots of user prefs, a library view to manage collections, it's fast, etc...It's expensive though...up to you to decide. This is my favorite app for cbr/cbz by far, it's really been designed for comics reading.

Goodreader is my favorite app for pdf as it's both fast, inexpensive ($1), packed with features and user-prefs...a no brainer for me. Dunno if it reads cbr or cbz though.

My recommandations would be : pdf & ebooks on GOodReader, cbr/cbz on ComicZeal.
khronos78 is offline   Reply With Quote