View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 05:04 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'm not sure if that is a good indication of the Mini coming to an end. Here in Australia, the Mini has been the most frequently discounted of the Kobo ereaders. If you wanted one, you just had to wait a week or to for it to be offered somewhere at about 40% off.

But, there have been reports here that it has been discontinued. I haven't seen a confirmation from Kobo, but the firmware hasn't been updated for a long time. When I have asked about this on the beta list, I haven't had a reply. If it has been discontinued, I don't think that there are plans for a replacement. I think that if a similar specced device was planned, they would use the Mini as a test bed for the firmware and keep updating it.

As to whether to buy one, why not? Just because Kobo might have discontinued it, doesn't mean it will stop working. From reports, the released 2.6.2 firmware works well and 2.8.1 runs fine on it. The only reason to hesitate is if you thought another product was coming and you wanted to see it first. But, if there is something coming, we haven't heard of it, so it won't be soon. If you can get the Mini cheap, then you can afford to upgrade sooner if something good does come out.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote