View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
hilaryfrompa
Member Retired
hilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-bookshilaryfrompa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Really--Really--Understanding the PE

I don't know how often a non-android user comes to this PE forum. I am a non-smartphone user. I do not understand 90% of the various commands or functions of an android device and have spent (read: wasted) so much time since getting my PE trying to "learn" android.

The primary problem for a search of "learn android" is that the search engines assume I want to develop an application. The secondary problem is that Youtube, for example, is full of useless and nearly incomprehensible videos by people whom I suspect are new users themselves; hence, the useless time wasting.

I want to understand "Permissions" and also the concept of Device Storage. For example, I downloaded Coolreader. When I open it, I get a black android list of choices that generate only programmer-style text.

When I say that I want to understand Basics, I truly do mean Basics, as if I got in a time machine and went back to 1988, and someone said, "Do you want to learn Windows?" I will never be able to use the PE if getting anything more complicated than Youtube or Google to run takes half a day. (Skype, a program I use very heavily, installed easily, but then refused my Log-In identification; I Uninstalled it.)

PE videos on Youtube are fundamentally sales-pitches for the devices.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
hilaryfrompa is offline   Reply With Quote