View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #143
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
That type of stuff is why I still doubt I'll ever move to electronic devices for my academic pdf use.

It just seems like it will always be quicker and easier to highlight and write notes in the margins (which I do a TON) on a printed PDF, and faster to pull it out of the well organized file cabinet and flip through it and find the important bits. (snip).
Well, for me, I had the well organized file cabinet, but I didn't organize it the way other people did. For example, I kept the papers alphabetized by first author's last name, but my boss consistently remembered the name, not of the paper's first author, but of the person who directed the lab the research was done in. Sometimes, but not always, the paper's *last* author.

And sometimes I would want all the papers on "Saccharomyces cerevesiae Ribonucleotide reductase", no matter *who* the first author, or the lab director was. And sometimes I wanted all the papers on crystal structure... and so on.

So being able to search across documents for "Donaldson" or "crystal structure" would be a lot quicker on a Kindle that could really handle pdfs than with a file cabinet of papers. And being able to search annotations for "paydirt!" would be a lot handier than having to flip through a whole drawer of papers, even though I did make a point of writing it at the top.

Not to mention that the file cabinet of papers pretty much has to live in one room; it's not like you can take it to the library with you.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote