View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 02:13 AM   #4
hekkel
Enthusiast
hekkel is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Don't get me wrong, but I don't see much point in this. It's not a WYSIWYG editor. It's rather spartan. I open an epub file (and I had to go through a fair few until I found one that would open without an error dialog), and I'm presented with a dialog that let's me edit the metadata? In some tab I can see a list of files in the archive and if I double-click a file, I get the source view?

From what I can tell, using this editor won't give me much beyond creating/editing the epub by hand in some HTML editor. If I'm missing something (entirely possible), please elaborate.

Not to sound too negative, I'm sure this could have its uses. I just don't see it. I still can't help but feel I'm missing some key point.
Yup, you're completely right. After all it is a spartan text editor, it certainly looks like one.

The ePub support does a little more than what you describe here. It generates the OPF and NCX files automatically based on what you enter on tab 2 and 3 of the interface. And I've tried to make this as simple as possible, hence the spartan looking interface. Just use the mouse to manipulate the items. So you end up with an HTML editor that reads and writes its files directly from an ePub file while maintaining an up-to-date OPF.

Japi is not a WYSIWYG editor, and never will be. But I'm planning on adding a good XHTML formatter and validator. I understood from the other discussion here on ePub editing that HTMLTidy is not good enough so I will come up with something else (probably using libtidy as the basis).

BTW, I'm very interested in the errors you have seen.

-maarten
hekkel is offline   Reply With Quote