View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question a blockquote / layout question

I see , in lots of retail epubs, a blockquote setting of left 2em, right 0em.
so when blockquote is used, typically to show a newspaper ,diary or book extract within the story, the text looks off to my eyes on an e-reader.
Sigil's increase indent changes only the left margin.

surely a blockquote would look better if centred i.e. with left and right margins both the same, or am I out of step with the universe here ?

is there some typesetting convention or medieval hangover that says shove all "extracts" text to the right , hard up to RH edge, via blockquotes ?

And if the blockquote is supposed to be a diary entry, storywise, or a handwritten letter, then surely it would be more authentic to have no paragraph indents , no justification, and more space between paragraphs. I don't recall the last time I wrote a paper letter but I'm pretty sure it would not have been fully justified

most ( though I admit, not all) retail books seem to use the same paragraph css class inside of the blockquote as they do outside. Is that laziness or typesetters 101 class training?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote