View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
I like the classics, though they're obviously not going to give you much insight into contemporary Australia. I read a lot more contemporary Australiana as a kid.

Miles Franklin - My Brilliant Career (but she should have gone with the other guy...)
Ethel Turner - Seven Little Australians (our answer to Little Women)
Mary Durack - Kings in Grass Castles
Elyne Mitchell - The Silver Brumby series (for children)
Colin Thiele - esp February Dragon (no, not fantasy. Mostly children/YA fiction, but contemporary.)

For contemporary cultural insight, your best bet might be family sagas / romantic dramas like those of Judy Nunn.

For a SF take, try
Sean McMullen
Isobelle Carmody (beware that the Obernewtyn series is still not finished after 25 years and only 6 books so far, though Wikipedia tells me that the last is due next year.)
Cordwainer Smith - Norstrilia (ok, he's not Australian and the book is not set in Australia, strictly speaking)

And of course there is
Terry Pratchett - The Last Continent. As stated in the blurb, it is "not a book about Australia. It’s just vaguely Australian."
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote