View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #44
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeby View Post
It sold because it was the norm and there was no other price option. It also didnt sell as well as the new ones. The DX has never gotten much cheaper and by the time it came out the 6" model had...so it doesn't say anything except people buy less when things cost more and there is a cheaper alternative. If the DX dropped in price and weight like the new 6" models it would sell better...it's common sense. I would prefer an 8" model so I would get trade paperback sized pages...but the only close options are a LOT more than the 6" versions...not even proportional to increased size more but a LOT more.
The K1 sold well enough to see three price drops before the K2 was introduced. Amazon dropped prices as sales rose probably because production costs were going down as the volume of Kindles being manufactured was going up. Toss in the $9.99 sales price for e-books on the best seller list and pretty cheap subscriptions to newspapers like the New York Times and you had plenty of folks who were willing to buy the K1 because they were saving money on buying the hardback book when it came out and on their subscription to local newspapers. I remember topics discussing how you could buy the K1 with the money saved from a Kindle subscription as opposed to a paper subscription.

The K1 was selling out at the $400 price range. Amazon was selling enough of them at $400 that they production costs were dminished enough to afford a price drop or they figured out that a price drop would increase sales. Probably it was a combination of both factors that led to the first price drop.

The price dropped to about $350 (when I got mine). My guess is that sales of the K1 went up with the price drop.

The K1 was featured on Oprah as one of her favorite things and she offered a $50 off coupon at her website, effectivly dropping the price to $300. The K1 sold out once again.

The K2 was announced and I believe the price dropped to the $250 range. The K2 was sold out in pretty much the first day. My family members were able to get one because I ordered them for them and K1 owners were allowed to jump to the front of the line.

The DX never took off. The price has always been high, I think it has dropped by $50 since it was first released. This is probably due to a lack of enough demand to be able to decrase production costs which would allow a price drop. The market for it was never that strong, professionals, University students, and technical field users.

I actually wonder if Amazon is still producing new DXGs or if they are simply selling their backlog.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote