View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
A lot of these books are announced by their authors, though. Surely they would know if they have geo restrictions or DRM.

You don't let DRM get in the way of reading a book you want -- I do. It's a deal-killer for me.

Or, another way of putting it: If I see a book promo labeled "DRM-free" I might click on it; if I don't, I won't. Life is too short to have to figure out whether or not I'm supporting DRM.
Hrmm... good point. Sometimes the authors WON'T know, unless they live outside the USA and can find out the hard way by being unable to download their own ebook... or they're unaware that a retailer has added DRM.

FWIW:

- books bought/downloaded directly from Smashwords are always DRM-free and geographic-restriction-free.
- Ditto Feedbooks.
- Barnes and Noble ebooks are typically DRMed and geo-restricted to the US (sometimes Canada too). This is the case even where the ebooks are sourced from GoogleBooks or Smashwords.
- Amazon indie authors have the option to add DRM to their ebooks, and will often do so when they're new to the ebook scene without realising the possible effects. I wouldn't expect indie ebooks on Amazon to have any geographic restrictions.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote