View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
The only problem with a geo restriction is that only the author/publisher really knows what it is. Some bookstores do list the restrictions (then again, you could look it up just as easily on the product listing, if it is a store that does), but none of the majors do. Of course, ALL B&N books are restricted to the US. Amazon can be restricted or not in each of the 100 or so countries they sell in (Sony has fewer and I suspect Kobo does as well); it would take someone hours just to test (not to mention perhaps getting a suspended account if you changed your address to every country in which you can buy a Kindle book, on a fairly regular basis); by the time anyone did, the deal might be over.

It takes but a few seconds for someone to click on the links provided and see if there is DRM or a geo restriction. Little more effort than decided to open the message or not, versus a ton of work before anyone posted (which would probably stop a lot of posts, other than smashwords and individual authors on their own websites).

As for DRM, I'd assume that any book posted other than smashwords, baen or an author's website will have DRM (some on Kindle won't, if they are self-published, but some will; there is no way to tell, without downloading the book and testing it). There are a few exceptions, but I don't let DRM get in the way of me reading a book I really want (nor do I let it's absence dictate what I will read).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote