View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
The last book I read before my Kindle 1 came was over 1000 pages. I had to prop it up on a pillow which made it hard to switch positions while reading. I was so happy to start reading on such a light little device. It's so nice when you travel, too. I read 10 books on my last week-long vacation. Can you imagine trying to cram 10 books into your luggage? And I wasn't just stuck with those 10. I could choose from thousands.

As for choice of device, obviously this is the Kindle board so most of us have Kindles. You may want to post in the "Which one should I buy" board or the Sony board to get a full idea. We all have our own priorities fro what we want in a device, but here are they pros and cons from my perspective:

Sony

Pros: Sleek form-factor, lower price for the 505. 505 and 700 can read Adobe Digital Editions. Most of the library ebooks are ADE. 700 has touchscreen and integrated front light.

Cons: No integrated dictionary support. No content search or annotation in 505 (700 has search and annotation but is more expensive than the Kindle and some say the screen is less clear due to the front light.). Fewer books available of the type I want. Most books are more expensive than they are at the Amazon store. If I were mostly reading library books, free public domain and Creative Commons works, and buying from Baen's, this wouldn't matter. I read lots of new releases and "literary fiction" so it does matter to me.

Kindle

Pros: Dictionary lookup, content search, annotation, Web and Wikipedia search. The Amazon store lets you download free sample chapters and get the book immediately on finishing them with wireless delivery (I buy a lot fewer books this way. I've never bought a book I didn't finish.). More books I want to read at lower prices. Wireless download also works for the catalogs of MobileRead and Feedbooks.

Cons: Larger than the Sony. More expensive than the 505. Smaller selection of public library ebooks. I don't like the white color. No front light but M-edge has a case with an integrated book light.

I haven't mentioned all the feature differences, just the ones that matter to me. Hope this helps!
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote