View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 11:27 PM   #24
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post

I'm still trying to figure out how to get all my contact and memos from my Palm onto the touch without starting from scratch. I'm also hoping for an app that will help me keep track of which jobs have paid me and which haven't. I was able to track this with a database I created on my Palm (with HanDBase). I would really love some kind of database that I can design myself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I know I'm talking to myself but this info may come in handy for someone else. There is an app called iClink that would do it but it costs about $40 for the app plus another $100 for the desktop counterpart and $10 a month to keep everything in sync. Not worth it to me.

I did some Googling and found a web page that instructed me on how to get all my addresses from my Palm on to the Touch with no typing on the Touch involved. It worked very well for free.

The original instructions can be found here. I was using my Vista machine so the program was called "Windows Contacts".

Quote:
1. Bring up Palm Desktop. Make sure your Palm phone is sync'ed up. Show the Address page, select all contacts (Ctrl-A), and export them with File, Export vCard... This puts all contact information into a single file as a sequence of vCards.
2. Bring up Windows Address Book. You can find this in Start, All Program, Accessories, Address Book.
3. Using Windows Explorer, drag the vCard file you created in step 1 to the Windows Address Book window. I had never used Windows Address Book, so it was empty. If yours isn't empty, you'll have to decide whether you want to merge your contacts.
4. When you drop the file, you'll get a window asking you to confirm the first contact. Press OK. Another window will come up for the second contact. Press OK until all windows are gone. It's easiest to hold down the Enter key.
5. Bring up iTunes with your iPhone plugged in. Go to your iPhone page, to the Info tab, and configure it to sync from Windows Address Book. Click Apply in the lower-right corner of the window.
6. Sync your iPhone. Verify that your contacts transferred over.
7. Tell iTunes to stop sync'ing with Windows Address Book, since you probably only wanted a one-way sync. Your contacts will be backed up anyway by iTunes, so the Address Book sync feature doesn't buy you much.
Now, I'm in search of a way to transfer my Palm calendar. I shall return if and when I find the answer.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote