View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #21
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Oh dear...

Firstly, let me say I am definitely not vexed

Unfortunately I'm struggling with my zero-knowledge of Macs and anything to do with Kompozer. However, I'm pretty sure the suggestion about 'encoding problem' is correct. Sadly, my understanding of encoding is also fairly sketchy.

I had a look at the original HTML you supplied. The first line is
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
which suggests UTF-8. My text editor describes it as "ANSI as UTF-8" I'm not sure if/how this differs from ordinary UTF-8. I didn't change the encoding in any of the previous posts.

I believe that when you drag a raw HTML file into Calibre it zips it up and converts the encoding to UTF-8 from whichever encoding it currently is. Calibre tries to figure out the source encoding. I'm not sure what happens if you drag in pre-zipped HTML.

When I looked more closely at your original HTML in a text editor, I also noticed that the line-endings are Unix-style, i.e. LF only. My editor tells me that Mac-style should be CR only. So, clutching at straws, I've edited the raw HTML to have Mac-style. I've also changed the encoding so the editor just says UTF-8 and, belt & braces, I've added an extra line 4
Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
so this HTML should, no ifs no buts, be UTF-8.

I've dragged it into Calibre and it still converts to EPUB OK on my Windows PC.

The attached ZIP contains the raw HTML plus the images. Everything else (including the rogue filelist.xml) has been removed. It is pre-Calibre. Try opening this HTML in your text editor. It obviously still needs your edits.

I have to say that this statement:
Code:
...However, I'm having a problem viewing the HTML file in the resident Mac text editor, TextEdit (all that can be seen are the illustrations on black background with no visible text) so I'm at an impasse...
has totally confused me. When I open an HTML file in a text editor I cannot see any images only the html code for the images
Attached Files
File Type: zip SacMem2utf8.zip (2.78 MB, 187 views)
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote