View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
...after hearing how delicate the screens on eReaders are, just wondering if a screen protector is a sensible thing to get. Obviously it won't protect against breakage, but anything that prevents scratches seems like a good thing.

Do folks here use a screen protector for their Kindle (or other eReader)? If so, what brand is recommended? What brand did you get for your DX, d47? For those that do use one with their Kindle 3, does it cut down on the readability of the Pearl screen?

Holly
I don't use any screen protector on any of my readers.
I don't see the need for non-touchscreen units. Even the described speed-reading-technique shouldn't by of any harm for the screen (= glass surface).
And I don't see the need for WACOM-style tablets, which have a glass surface as well.
I'd only consider screen protectors for non-WACOM-style tablets. Like Sony 600 for example. But only if I'd use them intensively, for example for taking notes.

I've got a screen protector on my UMPC, Samsung Q1.
Its screen actually did show scratches from using the stylus all the time.
But that's not a WACOM touchscreen, so it's way more delicate.

BTW: "Screen protector" to me means some sort of transparent film.
I've got another kind of protector for all my readers: Covers.
I'd never put any reader in my bag or suitcase without its cover.
ePaper is very sensitive against pressure. And even more sensitive against torsion.

Again: For the described speed-reading-technique (which I use myself for technical documents, but not for casual reads) I don't see the need for any kind of screen protector. You only slightly touch the display with the palm of your hand. No pressure, no scratches.

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-06-2010 at 11:25 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote