View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 04:14 AM   #1
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Leaving Calibre running kills my desktop manager

Month-old fairly fresh Xubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) install and Calibre 6.19.

For about a week now, I've had weird symptoms.

Been leaving Calibre running, to download news in the early-early mornings. Had it set to autostart when I boot into XFCE, too.

Without warning, my panels will disappear; or I will be dropped out of my X session, or I will find myself without any window widgets. When it happens, I almost always lose all the programs that are docked to the tray.

For two days, I haven't run Calibre. No problems.

This afternoon I restarted Calibre -- twice today I've had problems. Just came back -- screensaver was running; when I ended it, I had no window manager and no keyboard -- had to power down.

I can't tell if this is a conflict with GDM, xfwm4, xfdesktop or something else, like firefox. It's brutal though. Maybe it's related to the massive cpu usage of whatever 'loader' is?

I'm leaning toward xfdesktop, only because I've seen it restart twice, in rapid succession (when it restarts the desktop background changes.) But it could be dying for some other, domino-like reason.

How can I trace this? I'd like to use Calibre, but...

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote