View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #23
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
This discussion is a little bizarre in that it has been the US consistently in the lead in extending its own copyright terms, and influencing other countries to do likewise. The idea that it is going to turn around and suddenly reduce them is what is irrational. The same interests that have paid for existing extensions will continue to pay for further ones.
Predicting that the U.S. will reduce copyright term might be irrational, but I never argued that; I argued that the reduction itself would be rational and, implicitly, that international treaties should as a general principal be renegotiated when they don't make sense any more because of the march of time, technology or both.

Even if a retracted report isn't going to change anything, it's still marginally encouraging that parts of the U.S. government are alive to the issue. Frankly, I find it encouraging when anything copyright related comes out of the U.S. government that has involved critical analysis rather than RIAA talking points. It's just too bad the Republican party was to weak willed to stand behind their own research for more than a day.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote