View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 03:18 AM   #781
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
Jabby,
Thanks for the joeclark ref. I looked it over; yes, one can use reduced size to emulate smallcaps although it gets a bit clunky when there are difference 'cases' involved because the upper case A must be larger than the lower case A. When one reduces size one also reduces glyph thickness so that of the reduced-size looks lighter than that the full-size upper case A. With different 'cases' together the different glyph thicknesses often look a bit bizarre. In joeclarks examples he was careful to use bold face for both emulated and true smallcaps, and not to show combinations of mixed large and small case gyphs.

As for using my own fonts in CR and Mantano, I have a number of mobi ebooks where the creators have used bold text for ALL the text - when I use my own font that has very light-weight glyphs, this overcomes the v. dark bold text and makes reading the book more enjoyable in CR. I haven't had that problem with epubs although if someone made a bold text epub I would use the same very light-weight font in Mantano.
Using the test epub from here it looks like small caps defined in css dont work but when defined in the html as <small> they seem to work. But I dont know much about css etc so I could be wrong

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148097
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote