Thread: Styling lists
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Hi, I'm beginning to believe that lists are not the way to go for my internal TOC pages, because after testing in some apps, I found that while the list items work in an ordered list, the chapter numbers that should be generated don't always! Sometimes just bullets display, even with the <ol> tag being used. Or if they are generated, sometimes the first digit is cut off.

But I need some help figuring out how to do the same thing lists do with paragraphs.

So how do you get decimal numbers to line up neatly? (I'm making up chapter titles below.)

1. She Looked Back
2. She Looked Forward
3. Her Dog Ate Her Homework
9. Beowulf Comes Alive
10. This Is Where I Need Help?

What I want to happen, is for the decimals to line up.

I can make it do it with an &nbsp;&nbsp; before the single digit numerals, but is that the best way? And what about when you get into old style Roman numerals, like IX. X. XII. and the like, where you may be dealing with more than just two digits? More non-breaking spaces? Looks hideous in the code!

Further, with an ordered list, when the font size gets large, the title breaks up in a way that it lines up neatly under the TEXT and not under the chapter numbers. How do I make that happen with paragraphs?

And lastly, I've noticed that various Android reader apps don't necessarily render paragraphs as styled EITHER, so doesn't a list made with paragraphs also have a chance of not displaying as styled as well?

Trying to learn, because I want what epubs I make to look nice on as many reading systems as possible.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote