View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Sorry I have to respond to that one worldwalker. I think it is presumptuous to assume that my posting was "off-topic" for the site.
What I'm assuming is that MobileRead is about mobile reading. If so, then anything about any other subject, even if it has a special off-topic board to discuss it in, is off-topic for the site as a whole. If a forum's primary focus is, say, motorcycles, then a controversial discussion of TV shows will usually get cut a lot less slack than a controversial discussion of motorcycles. In the case of MR, discussion of anything not related to ebooks is secondary to the site's purpose, so the mods are going to be less tolerant there.

Quote:
In fact just now there was a suggestion of murdering someone in another lounge thread..... go figure...

Now if that murder should actually happen? Will MR be held liable?
The Powers That Be don't crawl the Web looking for threats to kill Joe Blow. They do, however, scan for threats to kill their particular country's leaders. All it takes is one hypersensitive individual in one paranoid government agency and MR gets hassles they don't need. Joe Blow doesn't have the power to have MR shut down, its servers seized, and its owners arrested; Stephen Harper does. For that matter, just one official email to MR's host could turn off the lights. So when it comes to allowing discussion of assassinating world leaders, the risk/reward ratio just isn't worth it for MR.