View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Historical whodunnits are a very popular genre, Kent. There's a very large number of such books around.
I'm sure you're right Harry, and I think Sufue is also right that they're more popular outside of the USA (where I'm from, and where we ,apparently, have little respect, awareness, or interest in history-- at least in comparison with my overseas travel.)
I've read a number of historical mysteries, and enjoy them. I've read a number of "different culture" mysteries, and enjoyed them. I haven't tackled many that do both simultaneously. (The Name of the Rose comes to mind, which I really enjoyed, but even then the cultural shift was far less for me than it would have been for historical Aztec, historical Asia, etc.)
I should be braver-- I think it takes a larger commitment to reading, rather than my typical "pick it up for 10 minutes at a time" reading style, if one is to immerse oneself in a different time & culture.
KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote