View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 12:14 PM   #27
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you want/need margins on the top and bottom? The default margins in Book Designer is 10px for the left/right and 0px for the top/bottom.
yes, margins on the top and bottom are important as well. the text on a page needs white space to breathe and allow the eye to circulate freely. it makes for a much more comfortable reading experience overall. however i don't mind if the header is at the very top of the screen, and there is perhaps a margin of about one line height only between the header and the body text.

Quote:
Personally, I don't have any issues with finding the next line when the text is to the edge of the screen. But I do understand your point of view.

One other thing I do is reduce the amout of space between the words. Not so much to cram more per line, but because I feel that overall, it looks nicer when justified as I get less lines with lousy word spacing.
i also really dislike the irregular (and frequently too large) spaces between words you get when using automatic justification. but my solution to this is to use left-alignment, instead of justified text. i find it gives a much nicer result on reflowable text. this also allows me to reduce the right margin to 5px, since the ragged right will have more space at the ends of lines anyway. space on a page is really important, it's not good to pack the words too closely together. it makes it much harder to read. but i know that some people feel very strongly about justified text. i have very rarely (if ever) seen automatic justification which gave a good result, particularly on a relatively small screen ; i'd much rather read left-aligned text than badly justified.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote