View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 02:36 AM   #1110
DragonflyKing
Enthusiast
DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Touch
Travelling with an eReader

Most people like their eReader because it is much easier to pack on holiday than the tomb-stone that they are only a few pages from finishing. With that in mind here are a few suggestions that would help travellers:

Translations: You already pack a great translation dictionary into the Kobo. Why not have it accessible from the Extras menu so that we can access it quickly, type in a foreign word or phrase and have it translated. Currently we would need to enter a book, open the base menu, select Translate Word, choose a dictionary, type the word and hit GO to get the translation. If it could remember the last dictionary used that would also be helpful.

While on the topic of translation, I guess it is used by people who already speak more than one language and need help with just one word, as you wouldn't bother translating a whole book. For us mono-linguistic dunces, the translations we are most likely to use are English-Latin. I would still like this dictionary added to the kobo. Even though it is a dead language it is still used heavily in literature (Nieche, Chaucer, Shakespeare etc.).

Maps: I would love a maps feature so when visiting a foreign city I can find my way around. I know I could create a pdf of a map and download that but I would have to have the Kobo on all day. What would be great is if I could download map tiles from OSM (public domain Open Street Map) and navigate between them by swiping. While in map mode, if I turn the unit off it would be great if the Kobo could still display the map at the current size and location - like it would with a book cover.

Saving Web pages from within the reader: There are all kind of content that you may want to access while travelling (flight schedules, weather, what's on, places of interest etc.). While staying in a hotel with wifi the Kobo is great for access these on the web but I currently can't take that information with me as I explore the city. It would be great to be able to save pages from the Kobo web browser that I can access while I'm out of range of WiFi.

Chess: Off the topic of travel but I love the new chess game that you have added in the latest release of firmware. Now I can take chess with me everywhere - YEAH! Would it be possible to export games in PGN format so that I can analyse them when I get back to my computer?

Just some suggestions. I hope you like them.
DragonflyKing is offline   Reply With Quote