View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Snarky comments aside about running servers *that never change* so users keep off my back (I get complaints about spamassassin upgrades, for &% sake) ...

After several hours of work and once nuking my system (fortunately I had made a backup onto a spare partition), I got it to work on Debian Lenny.

I was never successful with using a compiled glibc. First problem: compiling glibc 10 and above requires a newer version of binutils because of some multi-arch stuff. It was while working around that when I nuked my system; at one point dpkg nicely removed /sbin/ldconfig, breaking everything. OK, I put that back, then successfully compiled glibc. Second problem: putting the resulting .so into /opt/calibre/libc.so.6 led to immediate segfaults during loading. After the 'export LDD_LIBRARY_PATH ...', no program would run, even 'ls'.

To make a very long story short, the only way I could make this work without upgrading most of my server was to grab the 'testing' version of the libc6 package (libc6_2.11.2), extract the contents to a temp directory, then copy everything from temp/lib to /opt/calibre. I am sure that a subset of the 43 copied libraries would work, but I don't have the patience to delete things one by one until it breaks.

Related notes (really off-topic, but as I am here):
-- getting calibre-server to run in reverse-proxy mode with SSL wasn't fun. The major problem is the non-relative URLs, making URL remapping impossible. Working around that (creating another SSL host) causes SSL certificate mismatches, but I can live with that.

-- The reference src="http://calibre-ebook.com/site_media//img/button-donate.png" in the donate form causes mixed-security mode errors in IE when running under SSL. It would be better if the button image came from calibre-server instead of the external site.

-- Regarding upgrading the server: I will do it when debian stops doing security upgrades to lenny. Life is too short to spend a week on essentially useless work (it really did take me a week to upgrade from sarge to lenny). For example, simply changing from PHP5.2 to PHP5.3 breaks every web application that uses MySQL. PHP5.3 no longer permits old-style password encryption, which means that the applications cannot log in. I don't need passwords at all, really, because of how the server runs, so the change simply breaks things without adding any security. Backing out PHP5.3 was a major reason I went through the bother of making calibre-server work.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote