View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@chaley,

I'm sorry but I couldn't make anything go wrong on my Samsung Galaxy Note with android 4.0.4 Everything was very speedy, however, I only have 70-ish books on there.

Connecting as Wireless Device I was able to send-to-device without problem. Also I transferred some books to the Note's book directory via Dropbox instead. CC then correctly found, identified and added these books at the next connect.

I downloaded a couple of books via the Content Server with no problem. This is not something I would normally use, but it was very intuitive. I noticed the books don't use the same save template filename as send-to-device but perhaps that is nothing to do with CC.

I love the new Grouping drawer! Because I have relatively few books, I especially like that I can choose whether to use First-letter grouping or not. What would be really nice is if there was a toggle (like the Cover/List button) in the top bar to quickly switch this on/off rather than in Settings. This is mainly because, when viewing by Author I like F-L grouping, but as I have very few Tags, the whole list fits on one screen so I don't need F-L groups.

I was able to add a Custom column as a new grouping item. This was the only thing which was not speedy but, as a warning to that effect popped up, I wasn't left wondering if something had gone wrong.

Thank you for adding the Cover view. I like that it's only a one-click switch between List and Cover. I tried all 4 cover sizes. It seemed pretty fast to create the various sized thumbnails for me, but with only 70 books that's perhaps what you'd expect.

There's always a 'but', though. My first reaction to the Cover View was "Too much wood, not enough books". I really wanted to close those horizontal gaps I've attached examples of the 4 different sizes with my library. The gaps seem particularly noticable with the 'small' and 'large' sizes. I did read your earlier reply about the difficulties but thought I would include my initial thoughts as Joe Public.

On the 'keep aspect ratio' question... when choosing covers for calibre I just add the highest resolution image I can find (whatever it's aspect) and add them as epub SVG covers. I hate white 'sidebars' more than I hate not maintaining aspect ratio so I get distortion on the 4:3 ereaders but much less on the 10:16 Galaxy Note.

Finally, nice-to-haves for your future consideration:
  • I agree with PatNY that a dark background option would be a nice alternative to the current light wood. Personally, I don't care whether it's wood-effect or not. A plain black background would do for me.
  • The Mantano reading app has an option to create shortcuts to individual books on the Home screen. This is very handy as it gives one-click access to your current book(s).
  • First-Letter grouping toggle, as mentioned above.

I think this new version is a real step forward and I think I'm now at the stage where I'll use CC for all my library requirements and use the various reading apps only for the actual reading. Thank you for all your efforts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-small.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	109273   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-normal.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	109274   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-medium.jpg
Views:	546