View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Charles, I currently have 773 books on my Nook. I think the slowup might be with the PC I am connecting to? It's just a netbook with a slow processor and just 2gb ram.
That will make a difference, given that image conversion is CPU intensive.
Quote:
The fourth solution you mention sounds like the best to me.
Me too.
Quote:
Here is another idea -- Maybe putting a warning in the settings screen would suffice. Simply tell the user that changing the cover size could make the syncing take up to 10 minutes or more, depending on the number of books and specs of the computer on which Calibre is being run? That would have done it for me. I was just a little impatient.
Adding something like that to the text that pops up when you change the cover size is a good idea. Can't be too detailed because then people won't read it.
Quote:
One thing to consider is perhaps decrease the space just a little between books so as to fit 1 more across? I currently have the thumbnails for the shelf view set to medium. The shelf shows 3 books across, but it seems like there is room for a fourth if you just decrease the spacing between books and between books and the shelf edge a little. OTOH, I'm sure you've already played around with a lot of configurations and perhaps 4 across with medium thumbnails looks too crowded. In which case the current spacing would be preferable. Just wondering.
The biggest problem we face is that covers can be square or even landscape. Covers must be equally spaced across the shelf, which means that we must allow for the possibility that a cover is square. Unfortunately, the result is that they look overly spaced because covers are almost always portrait.

We have considered allowing display of square covers, ignoring aspect ratio. Personally I hate that, but it seems that some people prefer to deform the cover so that it is as big as possible. If we do this, it would certainly be an option, and it probably won't be in this release.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote