View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 AM   #721
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Just received the Aura yesterday and have been anointing myself with oil ever since. Fortunately, I live in a tower, so the constant stream of oil hasn't inconvenienced me even though the streets are now closed and tenants on the ground floor have had to find temporary lodgings.

I'm especially fond of the OS because it doesn't actively insult you. The home page is ad-free and useful; the store window is quite small and only shows you books which are related to the ones you actually own. I much prefer that to the latest Kindles' row of awful bestsellers on the devices' home pages, which is the visual equivalent of having to hear bad Top 40 every time you turn on your music player.

The screen offers the closest experience to text-on-paper of any e-reader or tablet I've ever used. The swiftness of the processor and the convenience of the light make it difficult for me to return to other e-readers.

A friend who saw the screen bemoaned the "non-white" background, but I find the color and slightly rough surface to resemble that of books printed on special stock, specif. earlier editions from Black Sparrow Press:

A few oddities:
  • I noted that Kobo-purchased tomes showed up in a kepub folder under root > .kobo, so I placed sideloaded books in a folder in the same parent folder (.kobo) titled "epub". My folder wasn't recognized until I moved it to the root level.
  • When I dropped a few images into the .kobo > images folder, those showed up as books until I created a folder titled "photos" at the parent level and moved my images to it. Now, of course, they don't show up at all.
  • The spacing is truncated in a few of my existing books whether they're kepub or epub. This is particularly noticeable in The Collected Shorter Prose of Samuel Beckett, in case anyone else has that book to check on their device. This is only an issue in the kepub version downloaded directly from Kobo to my Aura. The stripped epub version does not share the issue.
  • Scrolling through the library seems rather slow going for an e-reader which is quite swift otherwise. Is there a way to improve the scrolling speed if you've loaded over five hundred books (as I have)?

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-02-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote