View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 02:38 AM   #5
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
I haven 't read Mike Brotherton - he has a blog at www.mikebrotherton.com - but he writes 'hard as nails' sf. His first novel can be downloaded free at his website as a promo for the new one.

You might want to try Iain Banks' Culture books, particularly 'use of weapons'.

I'm not a huge fan of Bova, but I enjoyed 'Voyagers'.

Robert Forward's Dragon's Egg is another 'hard as nails' novel.

I don't like 'high fantasy' either, but I'd still recommend Robert Holdstock's Mythago Wood, which is a science-fictional approach to mythology as a construct of the collective conscious of humanity but projected onto the real world.

I don't know, by the way, if all of these are available as ebooks - you'll know once you input them at fictionwise, etc. But I also have a sony, and know for a fact several of Alistair Reynold's books are available there.

If i were you, I'd check out Linda Nagata's 'Vast', which may or may not be an ebook.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote