Thread: Touch .kepub.epub
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #118
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
can I just double check in case I am missing something? Differences between Kepub and Epub reader:

- pop-up footnotes work in Kepub, not in epub;
Strictly, pop-up footnotes is a new feature. It is part of the epub 3 spec. I think any support for this is because the kepub reader also supports epub 3.
Quote:
- count of effective screens to end of book available in kepub, whereas epub reader counts ADE pages, not screens (but to the end of the book);
As PeterT stated, the kepub reader counts screens per chapter.
Quote:
- reading statistics: Kepub gives statistics on time to end of chapter, reading time for next chapter, time left for reading book, while EPUB gives
Yes. For epubs, some of the stats are on the Reading Stats page.
Quote:
- Kepub show both header and footer, EPUB only footer
Yes.
Quote:
- highlights are darker in Epub than in Kepub
I have never noticed that, but there is a difference.

The other differences that I can think of are:

- Annotations/bookmarks for kepubs are only stored in the database. For epubs, they are stored in the database and a file. The file can be moved between devices.
- Internally, the annotation mechanism is different. That is why the modifications to the epubs are needed.
- The kepub reader handles different languages better. Specifically RTL languages and Japanese are supported.
- Purchased kepubs are synced to the Kobo server. This include reading status, bookmarks and shelves. Not strictly a reader difference, but a difference in how the books are handled.
- The kepub reader seems to be faster when turning the page at the end of long books.
- The epub reader has a bug with displaying long paragraphs. When a paragraph needs more than a screen to display it, the paragraph gets pushed to the next page.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote