Thread: Glo Glo Battery Problems
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #50
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
It's a bit early to tell, but this 3rd Glo appears to be the same as the other two. From the 20th to this morning, it's dipped from 86% to 48%.

I'd like to find some common traits between us. In my case, I use sideloaded epubs almost exclusively, and I use Calibre to manage my library and transfer books. Wireless has never been configured, and is always off. I can't think of any other setting that might have an impact.

Before I pass judgment, I want to ensure it's gone through several %100-to-%0 cycles.
Yep me too. My replacement went from 64% to 0 in 2.5 days. But, this is out of the box, so no calibration done yet. However, I do remember when I first got my Touch 15 months ago, out of the box, it lasted me at least a week...

And indeed, we should be looking for similar configurations. I really cannot image you'd get three bad batteries in a row :S

Following the settings menu:

- Facebook NOT signed in
- Adobe NOT authorised
- Light indicator CLEAR
- Light auto off: 15 min
- Auto sleep: 15 min
- Auto off: never
- Screen saver: on, full screen
- Sleepcover listening: NO
- Time zone: UTC 1:00 (locale manually set to en_GB, but used to be standard en_US on my first Glo)
- Language: English (en_GB, not standard en_US)
- Page turning: most left option (left/middle/right evenly divided)
- Page refresh: "oh the humanity!" (= 90, but was 6 on first Glo)
- Page numbers in margins: NO
- Reading Life: ON (what? it's on??)
- Reading Life notifications: ON (huh??)
- Wifi: OFF (generally off, though I use it occasionally so it is configured)
- Serial # begins with: 613A2C
- µSD: NO
- Firmware: 2.4.0 (84fbb7111a, 12 feb 2013) (but first Glo was on 2.3.1 and 2.3.2)
- Sideloaded books exclusively for me too, though I have some kepub previews on my Glo
- Sideloaded books managed, converted and transferred with Calibre
- Other reading settings: Georgia, size just left of middle slider, line spacing two steps (but minimum set to 80% with Calibre), margins not sure, but text appears about 0.5 cm from the bezel. Justification on.
- I use a Kindle sleeve, no magnets as far as I know (see here).

We know margins messed up remembering where you stopped reading... but could it suck the battery dry? I could imagine something to go wrong with having Reading life and notifications on though... I never get any awards (anymore) though. Hmm.

I'm also interested to see everybody else's settings, good and bad battery devices alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
If this one failed, I would love to send this directly back to a Kobo representative. (Sameer, are you listening?)
I hope so

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 02-22-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote