View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Sometimes you can forcibly reformat the flash drive.
yeah. i suppose you probably have to have working usb ports for that though. *sigh*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Zeep, try going to the website of the company that makes the computer. They may have USB drivers that you can specifically download and reinstall. Sometimes a driver becomes corrupted .... it happens.

If it is just a gorked driver, that's usually a pretty easy fix.
yes, it's probably the driver. i think it's actually a windows driver i need, not a hardware driver (plus, if it were a hardware driver, i'd have to figure out which current part came from where, since i've changed the insides bit by bit probably several times over in the past few years). i've found the solution that ended up working for me last time (thank god for bookmarks...), and i present it for your edification and possible future need. after all the insane variations including going so far as to edit the registry (i didn't actually do that one), the one that worked was :
- shut down computer
- unplug computer
- push and hold power button for about 30 seconds
- plug computer back in and reboot.

alternately, unplug the computer and leave it unplugged for about 15 minutes. it resets the reptile brain of the computer, or something.

if that doesn't work, and the problem doesn't magically go away over night (you never know. after all, it "magically" appeared sometime this afternoon, since everything was working this morning), i'm not even going to bother with it. as i said, i'm upgrading everything in the next week or so and i'll have to reinstall the system and everything then, and given that that is possibly my least favorite activity in the WORLD, i'm not going to torture myself with even more installations ahead of time. it can only go to hell in a handbasket for a few more days anyway.

thanks though for the suggestions.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote