View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #114
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichrispa View Post
Hi davidfor, thanks for the response.
No problems and thanks for the detailed response.
Quote:
I am usually ejecting from calibre, then verifying it from the OS. In any case, Linux does confirm that the drive is unmounted before I pull the plug.

I need to connect to calibre once before this happens. Any modification of the onboard database will cause this error. The error exists immediately after disconnecting (verified by transferring the database via FTP and examining it with sqlite and by examining the onboard partition without calibre enabled). The next time I connect the device to calibre the driver cannot load the metadata and complains that the database is corrupted.
Have you done a check of the database before starting calibre? And have you checked the database before ejecting? Close calibre, check if the database is OK and then eject manually.
Quote:
My kobo creates a backup of the database each day (first boot). I simply log in via telnet, cp the backup to the original and reboot. After that, the problem is fixed.
Have you checked the backup at all?

Are you manually powering off or letting it sleep and auto power off?
Quote:
I cannot really logout, as I am "logged in" as foo@bar I'm really no fan of the kobo connectivity features.
I can understand that. But the shop is convenient and generally cheaper than elsewhere when combined with promo codes. The logout removes the current database and creates a new empty database. That will reset everything and see if adding the books or calibre breaks it.
Quote:
I can reproduce the error at any time without any real harm, so of course I can send you a copy of the database. Won't be before the next sunday though, as my girlfriend kidnapped the KT for a fieldtrip.
OK. The good thing about that is you know what to buy her for a present

I'd like a before and after database if possible.
Quote:
I have another thought to offer, but this is rather speculative. I did try to manually set series information (as in "UPDATE content SET Series="blah",SeriesNumer="1" where...") some time ago. This was before I updated my calibre from version 5something to 9.19 and I had not even heard of your driver yet. I vaguely remember that after that, something was wrong with the database and that caused me to create the backup script in the first place. So it may be that the series information causes nickel to corrupt the database itself. Of course that would mean that simply disabling the "Set Series information" option in the driver would also fix the problem... I will test that hypothesis in a week and report the results.
It shouldn't be a problem. That is all the driver does when the series option is selected. And turning the option off will check. If it still breaks, also change the "Metadata management" option on the "Sending books to devices" page to manual.
Quote:

Thank you non the less for your help davidfor. Altogether i would like to point out that I really appreciate your work on this driver and you have done a great job. I just have a nag for producing weird errors.
Thanks. Hopefully we can sort out what is happening.

A later thought: Do you know which version of the Touch it is? The older ones have the internal memory attached to the PCB. The newer ones use a micro SD card that can be removed. And how did you upgrade the firmware?

Last edited by davidfor; 02-24-2013 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Added device version question
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote