View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #36
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I find text to speech quite useful. I can plug it into my car stereo and always have something to listen to. After I finish reading to my daughter, I put a book on TTS for her. (She'd have me read aloud to her until my voice gave out)

When I first used TTS, I found it pretty awful, entire sentences would just sound like gibberish. But then I got used to it, and it sounded much better. I had thought they had improved the quality, but my brain just became trained to listen to it. If I upgrade to a Paperwhite, I will still keep my Kindle Keyboard just for TTS.

TTS may not have been a huge selling point for the Kindle, but they had already put the money into it. Losing TTS is a side effect of removing audio capability from the e-ink Kindles. Removing TTS wasn't a money saver, but removing audio capability does save money. Amazon saw that people just weren't interested in using the e-ink Kindle for audiobooks.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote