Thread: Calibre Speedup
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #24
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
On Windows I found that using a RAM disk for temporary files helped speed thins up. I presume the same an be done on MacOS ? It also has the additional benefit of reducing wear on the SSD.
Regarding temp files and RAMdisk, I'm still researching and testing exactly which temp folders would be appropriate. Apparently on OS X, not all temp folders should be put on RAMdisk, such as /var/db, while /private/tmp and /var/run are okay on RAMdisk. So I'm still trying to determine which specific temp folders appropriate for RAMdisk would speed up various specific calibre operations. I noticed that on OS X, conversion uses /var/folders. Does anyone know all the other specific temp folders that various calibre operations use on OS X, or where I could look to determine that?

What size RAMdisk do you use?

Last edited by unboggling; 10-22-2012 at 07:28 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote