View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Toronto Public Library uses Overdrive for ebooks and mainly offers ePub, with some PDFs and a smattering of Mobi files. It appears that almost all recent acquisitions are ePubs. The library actively promotes Sony and Kobo as readers of choice. Interestingly, they mention Nook as well although Nook is not sold or serviced in Canada.

The current listings show 573 non-fiction and 885 fiction. Since I have been paying attention -- May 1 when I acquired a Kobo -- the Mysteries section has doubled from around 95 to 202 titles. More titles appear every week or two. Library access is free to any Toronto area resident asking for it; I do not believe there is a non-resident option.

In addition, the library maintains an active collection of downloadable music and video titles using the same Overdrive section. There are 1,882 fiction audiobooks, 544 non-fiction audiobooks, 469 music (almost exclusively classical) and 555 video (there may be a few items double counted).

Among the most recent mystery fiction added: Ice Cold by Tess Gerritsen, The Panic Zone by Rick Mofina, Rules of Betrayal by Christopher Reich and Think of a Number by John Verdun.

(In addition the library provides "NetLibrary" which includes over 7,300 books are available: fiction, business, health, science, philosophy, politics, history, psychology, child development, travel, money management and more. There are many reference books you can use in your home or office or for homework assignments. Hundreds of books in the Complete Idiot's Guide series are available. For our purposes, I have not included these as they cannot be read on a stand-alone e-reader "gadget".)

Last edited by SensualPoet; 08-03-2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added para about NetLibrary
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote