View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Don't you love it - after not finding an answer for several days, you go and post a question...then it seems like the answer just pops up....I think it is some evil forum demons that want to make me look like an idiot!!

This is a partial answer to my question:
According to this thread you can manually add an identifier using sigil...and it works...just add an "identifier (custom)" under the "add basic" portion of Sigil's metadata editor. Then under "File-As" you can change the names to "calibre:series", and "calibre:series_index" (or whatever you want to add).

Sigil puts them in the content.opf as:
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="calibre:series">Space Cadet's R Us</dc:identifier>
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="calibre:series_index">1</dc:identifier>

Unfortunately this does not register in Calibre, or ePubMetadataEditor so I have my doubts if it will register in another device that is looking for Series/Series #.

Calibre and ePubMetadataEditor store these fields with meta tags: Calibre in it's own metadata.opf file, ePubMetadataEditor right after the <dc:title> tags in content.opf:
<meta content="1" name="calibre:series_index"/>
<meta content="Space Cadet's R Us" name="calibre:series"/>

Correction to my previous post -
Sigil does NOT DELETE the meta tags, but it does move them to below all the other <dc:> tags (sorts the dc tags to the top). I think ePubMetadataEditor is looking for the tags in a particular position (after the title) rather than by name...that would seem to be a bug in ePubMetadataEditor rather than Sigil.
Calibre doesn't see the data at all...I think it is only looking in it's own metadata.opf file...but I'm not super familiar with Calibre...

I did notice that Sigil does NOT load the metadata.opf file when editing the epub...this makes sense as the metadata.opf file is not bundled into the epub - it is just in the folder that calibre uses for file organization.

You CAN "add existing file" with Sigil and it will put the metadata.opf into the Misc folder. But for some strange reason Sigil will NOT allow you to natively edit the metadata.opf file like it does the content.opf......wierd.

So.....I guess my question still remains:

Besides manually editing it, does anyone know how to get Sigil to add
<meta content="1" name="calibre:series_index"/>
<meta content="Space Cadet's R Us" name="calibre:series"/>
into the content.opf.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote