View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #111
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
... thus they may want something with a bit beefier specs. I personally don't have a problem with spending more than the average laptop costs when purchasing one, seeing as I use it several hours a day.
I agree. I think many people, perhaps even most people, have a tendency to buy a computer with significantly better specs than what is actually needed. The industry promotes this, through rapid technological change combined with hype.

Back to cars. I bought a new Suburu Forester a few years ago when I wanted to replace my 15 year old bottom-of-the-line Nissan pickup, which I could have had fixed for a few hundred dollars. I don't go off-road, drive much in snow, or live an active outdoors/sports-related life so I don't need the Forester's standard all-wheel drive or cargo space. (I hardly ever used the cargo space on the Nissan either.)

So why did I buy that Forester? I was tired of the Nissan pickup and wanted a change. I saw a Suburu ad on TV and suddenly remembered I'd owned a reliable Suburu 30 years ago and liked it. So I looked at Suburus. I liked the Forester's look and feel. Its color. Its stance. The twin tailpipes on the Forester reminded me of my old Camaro RS. That's all. Not practical specs. Not horsepower. Not all wheel drive. Not cargo space. Not mpg. Not budget. Not cost-benefit analysis.

I venture to guess I am not unique in making buying decisions that way.

Last edited by unboggling; 07-06-2012 at 12:45 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote