View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #128
sunlioness
Enthusiast
sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS - 350
I have to say this thread strikes out as my favourite so although new in the forum, I decided to chip in.

I live in London, UK but I am from Corinth in Greece.

Corinth is mostly famous for it's ancient history. Neolithic artifacts show that the site of Corinth had been occupied as early as the fifth millennium BC. Story (i.e. mythology) has it that Sisyphus was its founder and first king. Also Jason, the leader of the Argonauts, died in Corinth.

In terms of art, the Corinthian order is also very famous and is still used all around the world.

A quick look at the buildings of the modern city of Corinth will show how "new" it is though. In 1858 after a destructive earthquake the city was moved from the site of Ancient Corinth to its present position. Then another earthquake in 1928 completely destroyed the city again (if you ever live in Corinth you WILL get used to the earthquakes, they're very often!).

I love Corinth for its great variety in beaches and seafood taverns. I love it at dusk and dawn and I've never seen a full moon as huge and red as it can be on the Corinthian summer sky. As the above pics are not mine and can be easily found on the internet, see below a few pics of mine.

These two are taken at a beach laying just next to the ancient temple of Hera (more pics at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraion_of_Perachora)

These two are taken from the acropolis of Corinth, the Acrocorinth (more pics at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrocorinth)

Also, I'd like to thank all of whom posted their pics in this thread! I learned so many things thanks to you guys...
sunlioness is offline   Reply With Quote