View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #9
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
The new edition has "copacetic"...
adjective or copasetic ...origin unknown slang: very satisfactory: fine and dandy His smile told him that everything was copacetic -- Robert Bloch

I wonder what Orwell would have to say about copyrights. Would he argue that free access to knowledge is a basic human right just as freedom of speech? 300 years ago it was a bunch of industrialists in his country who made the first copyright laws called, ironically, An Act for the Encouragement of Learning...From the very beginning it was about controlling one of the important ways to maintain power and money in an unfair system.

The university I am currently associated with is becoming more like a cooperative as many other educational institutions in this country but there is one thing it does I really appreciate. It allows anyone to enter its library to use the computers and books. I am happy to see a homeless woman asking for a temporary pass with all her property in the cart beside her. Another university here even unilaterally stopped the inter-library service agreement and made students from other universities pay to use its library material.
I looked up the word - I hate it when I encounter a word I don't know.

What a wonderful story regarding your university!

Not sure what Orwell would say about copyrights, I think he is a writer of great intellect. I should look up his biography, I'm certain it would make fascinating reading.

Many thanks to all for your help. Much appreciated.

Cheers from sunny (then cold and rainy, then sunny again) Australia!
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote