View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
very true : but what i found most interesting in the article was the idea that piracy can actually be turned to serve the interests of the very people it's supposedly harming. cory doctorow is an obvious example, although i doubt he'd claim to be a victim of piracy, however he does benefit from the free diffusion of his books via p2p channels.

and before someone jumps in to point out that doctorow is using free ebooks to promote his paper book sales, O'Reilly itself (one of the most respected technical publishers, including in e format) is widely available on p2p sites yet they're still thriving...

how about the idea that piracy can actually be a tool for gaining an audience ? i found it very telling that Tim O'Reilly himself claims that "people want to do the right thing".
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote