View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I had read Ethan Frome a couple of months ago, but decided to read it once more for this discussion. Once more I was also struck by the beauty of Warton's writing. The way she described the physical scenery, the people, and their emotions was truly great literature.

It being a repeat read I was not shocked at the ending, but was still amazed at the transformation of the female main characters. Zeena went from being a thoroughly unlikable self adsorbed hypochondriac, to someone who if not pleasant at least accepted responsibility for caring for the crippled Mattie for more than 20 years. That still surprises me considering how callous she was about casting Mattie off to bleak future prior to the sleigh injury. Mattie turned from a pleasant young woman who was willing to endure hardship without much complaint to a sour bitter woman.

I had real sympathy and understanding for Ethan. His entire life he subverted his own wishes and dreams in order to comply with what he thought was his responsibilities at any time. Caring for his parents, marrying Zeena, abandoning the idea of staring a new life with Mattie, and spending likely the rest of his days caring for Zeena and Mattie.